1. Intro2R Infobiology course
Here you can find the most updated program of the course. Slight modifications can be made without notice: if you have a static (i.e. printed or pdf) version of the program, refer to this online version as the most updated.
2. Prepare your computer
Instructions on how to install and approach the software you will need.
3. A gentle introduction
Introductory and background material on the R environment, course aim, and some data concepts and theory.
4. Basic R syntax
The very first basic "how tos" in R
5. Interactive tutorials
Practice a bit with external web resources (these lessons oare OPTIONAL)
6. Tidy data
An introduction to the tidy data conceptual framework
7. Material used and Resources
This section WILL contain the files (datasets, scripts and tutorials) that you will need to download during the live course.
Programma del Corso (Intro2R)
“Introduzione alla manipolazione dei dati con R” (Intro2R)
1 week online program
(To be carried on autonomously on your laptop accessing the dedicated account on our online platform. Approximate time needed to complete the online tasks: from 4 to 8 hours TOTAL, depending on skills)
1) A gentle introduction
- What is R and R environment, R learning
- R versus Excel
- Tidy data and the Tidyverse
2) Prepare your computer
- “R” and “RStudio” installation
- The R Console
3) The basics
- Basic R operations
- The R packages and Repositories
- Optional interactive tutorials
2-days live course program (in Pero, Milan)
(Each participant needs to bring her/his own laptop. Coffee breaks and light lunches will be served directly at the venue for both days)
Morning Session 10.00 – 13.00
Those who encountered serious problems during software installations on own laptops, please arrive by 9.30 am in order to have the proper assistance)
- Technical check on personal laptops
- Welcome address and quick mutual presentations
- Your path to data freedom. What to expect, what to aim for.
1) The data science environment
- The grammar of Data Science
- Why and how to talk to a computer
- Structure of a command. Functions, attributes
2) The R universe
- Using the R console with RGUI and RStudio
- The R syntax. A very quick remind of previous 2 weeks.
- Objects (and “object oriented”) and evaluation. Data structures.
- Read data into R. A first practical dataset
Afternoon Session 14.00 – 17.30
3) Tidy and manipulate your data
- The “Tidyverse” vs base syntax
- Tools for tidiness: piping commands, summarizing, filtering, merging
Morning Session 9.30 – 12.30
4) Wrap-up and previous day summary
- What did you learn yesterday? Q&A session
5) Automation and iteration
- Concepts of control flow
- “for” loops
- Conditionals “if-else”
Afternoon Session 13.30 – 16.30
6) Basic data visualizations
- Basic plotting with R
- Introducing ggplot2
- Customize your graphics.
- Leverage data-viz with ggplot and geom levels
7) Practical take-home messages
- How to keep learning from here
- Where to go to consolidate your skills
- What to do to jump start your skills