Attenzione: non è per ora in programma una nuova edizione di questo corso. Ritorna su questa pagina per verificare quando verrà nuovamente attivato. In ogni caso ne daremo notizia sui nostri canali social.
Aim of the course: learn how to efficiently manage, handle, transform the biological data with the power of R language and RStudio software. Get your hands on gene expression data, generalized data tables and learn how to filter, extract, clean them up. No background knowledge is needed to take this course, just a basic computer literacy and the will to learn. You will be required to access our reserved on-line platform during the two weeks preceding the course to complete a few tasks and quizzes in order to be ready for the two-day live course.
What you will learn
- How to use R and RStudio: the basics of R scripting and packages usage to make calculations
- Tabular data manipulation: how to read-in, reshape, transform and summarize data from tabular formats such as excel, txt, csv
- Plotting: how to make box plots, violin plots, scatter plots and many other
- Simple exploratory analysis: how to check and explore your data with scripts and quality metrics
- Reporting: how to use markdown to automatically produce reports with embedded graphics
Who this course is for
This is a basic course for BIOLOGISTS, TECHNICIANS, CLINICIANS, clinical and life science PROFESSIONALS without a background in data analysis who need to process their data without being limited by the classical electronic spreadsheet boundaries. This course is the beginning of an enlightenment journey for all those who want to start the discovery of the power of R scripting but maybe are a bit scared by the (falsely) supposed steep R’s learning curve.
Please note: even if this is a course designed for life science professionals, ANYONE who wants to learn the basis of R and data manipulation can participate: the learning outcome can be applied to ANY field, from finance to social sciences.
How the course is organized
The course is offered in two phases:
- First, a preparatory on line session (two weeks) to prepare yourself with readings, videos and a few exercises
- Then, a live weekend session (two full days, saturday-sunday) in classroom for a maximum of 25 participants
The course is a mix of theory and practice: participants are required to bring their own laptop computer to the weekend live session. Lunches and coffee-breaks during the 2 classroom days are included in the participation fee. The fee DOES NOT include travel and hotel expenses.
For a preview of detailed program see “Curriculum” on top of this page.
1. R4BM Infobiology course
Here you can find the most updated program of the course. Slight modifications can be made without notice: if you have a static (i.e. printed or pdf) version of the program, refer to this online version as the most updated.
2. A gentle introduction
Introductory and background material on the R environment, course aim, and some data concepts and theory.
3. Prepare your computer
Instructions on how to install and approach the software you will need.
4. Basic R syntax
The very first basic "how tos" in R
5. Interactive tutorials
R methods and data structures: online and offline intractive tutorials
6. Material used and Resources
This section contains the files (datasets, scripts and tutorials) that you will need to download during the live course